The textile industry is one of the most active in the world, billing around more than $3 million dollars a year. The fact is that clothing will always be needed, as a consequence, this business can change types of fabrics, styles, models, shapes and functionalities; but it will always exist globally. For those who love dynamism, constant renewal and want to market a friendly product, today we bring you 10 ideas to start a clothing business in Nigeria.
Do you buy clothes at least once a month? Do you wear different outfits for specific occasions? You can see for yourself how profitable the fashion business is. For this reason, we will show you everything that this entails, from how much to invest to which are the best-selling products. Keep reading! Here we will tell you everything.
What is a clothing business in Nigeria like?
Fashion is a business that generates high income in Nigeria. People are constantly adding new clothes to their closet, whether they are current trends, vintage fashion or from past times. There are many styles, which is why people cannot decide and massively consume the textile industry. It is a trading business, or better known as marketing.
Selling clothes is a good and profitable business in Nigeria. You can start from anywhere, your home, the garage, a boutique, online store, part-time business or just weekends. Fashion businesses are ideal for those who want to invest their savings in a profitable and quick-return business. If you want to start a business and that the demand for products does not decrease over time, we leave you some of the reasons why clothing stores are your best bet in Nigeria:
- You do not need a large capital, or large facilities, or a large number of employees.
- All people need clothing: babies, children, young people, adults and the elderly.
- It will never stop being a busy and high demand business.
- You do not need to be a professional or have extensive experience.
- There is a variety of materials with which you can create original, innovative and high-quality products.
- You will enjoy a growth opportunity through the sale of your products to the local, national and foreign public.
The best thing about this business is its opportunities, business ideas for sportswear, children’s, work, intimate and much more.
10 ideas for clothing businesses in Nigeria: create something very chic
The fashion industry offers great opportunities to those who decide to undertake it. Once you know what clothes to sell, create a name and logo for your business, it does not matter if your business is online or physical, strive to create an image that identifies your brand.
See what the average purchasing power of consumers in your area is. If they have low salaries, you will have to sell quality clothes but at affordable prices. The changes of time and fashion have made the world of clothing a creative industry capable of realizing any idea you can imagine.
We have created for you a list of 10 clothing business ideas in Nigeria to encourage you to undertake and start generating income from what you are passionate about.
1. Baby clothes
To start with the ideas for clothing business, we bring the sale of baby clothes. It goes without saying that millions of children are born every year and their parents are looking to buy clothes, toys and other necessary items. Of course, this is a good business idea is to sell since it has the potential to be a profitable business and you can start it in several ways, as long as you have proper planning before launching your brand.
Be sure to set the space according to a baby store, include stuffed animals, pastel tones, arrange clothing in small furniture and create corners or play spaces. In a baby clothing business project you can offer the following range of products:
- Baby clothes: from newborns to 24 months. They can be booties, stockings, rompers, smocks, pants, jumpsuits, jackets, shawls, t-shirts, hats, dresses, skirts, bibs and other clothing you consider necessary.
- Basic baby items: strollers, sterilizer, bottles, accessories for newborn babies, cutlery, baby food holders, anti-spill cups, lotions, wipes, bibs, cleaning kits, colognes, brushes.
- Furniture: changing tables, cribs, dressers, furniture, drawers, among others.
- Decoration: lamps, wall stickers, paintings, mobiles, etc.
- Educational toys for baby development: wooden or plastic cubes, rattles, stories, swings and many more.
You can promote your business by:
- Open accounts on social networks.
- Start a promotional blog.
- Post ads on popular sites frequented by new and prospective parents.
- Give coupons to your local baby care and play groups.
- Organize in-store events for parents.
2. Children’s clothing business
We continue our list focused on the children’s world and one of the most profitable clothing business ideas is fashion for children. Starting a children’s clothing store is considered a good business opportunity in Nigeria since children are constantly growing. The children’s clothing market is a specific market niche that works very well if you know how to reach it.
You must first research this business, learn about the suppliers and designers, as well as have a basic understanding of running and running a business. As a second point, you must decide what type of children’s clothing you would like to sell, you can choose between selling your own designs or buying the designs of others, or if you will sell second-hand or new clothes. It is important to determine what type of market your business is targeting.
It is estimated that your total investment can be around N250,000 thousand naira and #1,000,000 to open a children’s clothing store in Nigeria. To create your business we recommend the following:
- Buy wholesale children’s clothing.
- It sells shoes and clothes for each season.
- Consider adding fun gifts like stuffed animals and kid-sized bags.
- Buy your merchandise from online vendors or warehouses.
Take advantage of these ideas to set up a sportswear business to captivate lovers of the fitness world. More people are leaning towards a healthy lifestyle and are doing different sports, so they need different elements to exercise correctly.
A sports or fitness clothing company is an organization that sells all types of athletic shoes, clothing, and equipment at retail. The products are usually sold locally, but also through the Internet. This type of business mainly supports athletes and people who like various sports, offering the best sportswear and accessories, and even nutritional support.
Depending on the size, the number of products and the location of the business, the initial cost is between N100,000 thousand naira to N300,000 thousand naira. There is a variety of products you can choose from to include in your sportswear business:
- Women and men: fleece jackets, raincoats, windbreakers, vests, solar tops, wetsuits, thermal tops, women’s shorts, jackets, sweatshirts, pullovers , T-shirts, shirts, tights, pants, skirts, beach bikinis, swimsuits, women’s bikinis. swimming.
- Accessories: Fitness items such as weights, bars, discs, aerobics, soccer balls, indoor soccer, volleyball, basketball, rugby, golf balls, baseball, cricket or tools for extreme sports such as surfboards, skateboards, skates, paragliders.
- Sports supplements: Vitamins, pre-workout, burners, proteins, weight gainers, amino acids, pre-hormones and snacks.
When offering your products remember to highlight all the benefits they can provide and have a clear understanding of what you are selling so you can spread the word. Interaction with customers, suppliers and employees will be one of the main tasks to be carried out every day. Therefore, you must have interpersonal and communication skills as well as business acumen to be successful.
4. Vintage clothing
Are you looking for innovative clothing business ideas in Nigeria? Selling vintage clothing is a profitable and promising business. Why do we say this? Very simply, there is a belief that every 20 years past fashions return to their peak due to the need of consumers to impose fashions to stand out from others.
On the other hand, with the rapid changes in consumer awareness of the source of clothing, the sale of vintage clothing this year is also a good sustainable business opportunity.
Although you may be inclined to prefer and distribute what you like, consider selecting a niche within the vintage clothing space to set your business apart. Your store may choose to focus on:
- A decade or decades, for example the 1920s or 1980s.
- A specific purpose or occasion, such as nightwear or winter wear.
- High end vintage designs.
- Renewed styles: adaptation of vintage garments to new pieces.
- Reused vintage clothing as a sustainable solution.
Develop a system that helps you classify, store and identify items to simplify shipping to your customers and meeting delivery times. Unlike stores with a limited list of products (multiple units within each product), vintage items are often one-of-a-kind.
Each new part is marked, numbered and filed in order. Sort the shelves by type (pants, tops, jeans) and color so any employee can easily find items. You can project your vintage business from your residence with little initial investment.
However, this is a business that requires you to buy inventory in advance, unless you opt for a consignment model: you only pay for the merchandise after you sell it.
5. Wear clothes
Currently, the tendency to buy in second-hand clothing stores has increased considerably for several reasons, one of them being the cost. So you get clothing that is in good condition at preferential prices, and it is clothing that may no longer be available on the market. This trade gives way to the reuse of items, which also includes improving the environment.
Although the used clothing business has been accepted by society, some clothes sell better than others. In general, for hygiene reasons, it is normal for people to prefer to buy clothes that are not in direct contact with the skin. Under these assumptions, the used garments that are sold the most are:
One of the keys to the operation of second-hand clothing stores is to provide high-quality materials, in addition, they must go through a strict washing and cleaning process. Furniture is also vital for the operation of your used clothing business, so you must acquire:
- Dressing rooms
- Cash register
A clothing business is profitable when it meets the needs of consumers, which is why we have included the sale of pajamas or sleepwear in our list of clothing business ideas. So if you are thinking of generating extra income from home, an interesting option that you can start with relatively little capital is the home lingerie business.
Among the services you want to offer, you can cover the following potential customer niches:
- Cotton clothing or delicate material that covers a greater number of people.
- For girls and teenagers. This type of clothing is made of delicate material and light or pastel colors, according to the age of this niche.
- Clothes for adult women, of good material and quality. For pregnant women, where bras are included in pajamas adapted for breastfeeding.
- Sexy pajamas: This type of lingerie is geared more towards couples, where black and red colors predominate, as well as different models to choose from. Ideally, this type of business is dedicated exclusively to this area to offer other types of lingerie such as nightgowns, stockings with designs, among others.
- Men’s clothing, here you can offer simple briefs, boxers , white clothes such as t-shirts, socks, pants.
One of the keys to success in the clothing business is defining your own unique style. This allows you to differentiate yourself from the many brands that already exist on the market. For example, it could be the quality of the fabric, the design of the garment, or the print. You can also design comfortable products for children, adults, couples, parents and children, depending on the season.
7. Business fashion and work clothes
Among the ideas for clothing business, we find those that focus on the productive or business market. This project does not require previous experience or training, so there are no major difficulties in the implementation process. Employers are encouraged to explore specific concepts of customer service and business skills, as well as the world of security devices in the workplace.
The products can be the following:
- Health and aesthetics: robes, jackets, pants, pajamas.
- Hospitality: aprons, pants, hats, vests.
- Industry: t-shirts, jackets, vests, fleece linings, pants, boots, shoes.
- New product lines such as: helmets, gloves, glasses, masks, earmuffs, among others.
Other services that you can offer are the following:
- Embroidery and serigraphs.
- Exclusive designs adapted to the needs of the client.
- Phone orders with in-store pickup or home delivery.
- Customized visits and budgets.
- Needs studies.
- Arrangements and adaptations.
The best ads for this type of business are reviews from satisfied customers. Therefore, providing a quality service by informing and resolving all customer queries is the best advertising strategy that can be developed.
In this sense, the communication that occurs within the installation itself is very important. Therefore, the sales staff must prepare enough information to advise customers in the best way.
8. Maternity clothing store
One of our ideas to start a clothing business is to reach the maternity sector. Currently, many women who are pregnant cannot find stores that are responsible for the sale of garments or outfits just for them, that allow them to look beautiful, but above all comfortable.
Selling maternity clothes is a great business opportunity that focuses on the investments mothers make during most of their pregnancy. It is true, there is a lot of competition in the market, however, the success of your business depends on you.
How to succeed in this business? You must be aware of the latest information on maternity fashion. Keep in mind that word of mouth works for all sales, so the product must have enough quality and unique value to recommend it.
Your goal should be that pregnancy, a special stage for women, be a captivating and learning experience. To ensure that each client is comfortable, try to offer the following services:
- Dresses, underwear, maternity bottoms, knit shirts, nursing bras.
- Polos, shirts, bracelets, necklaces, rings, mugs, pillows, these products can be customized depending on the customer’s taste.
- Also, you can make food plans for pregnant women.
- Facilitate prenatal yoga classes through a professional instructor.
This type of partially focused industry is profitable and emphasizes high quality and customer service, as well as a variety of products that are integrated over time and as the business grows.
9. Personalized t-shirts
Among the ideas that we bring to you to make a good clothing business is that of selling personalized t-shirts. If you have artistic talent and are interested in fashion, a t-shirt company may be an ideal plan. In addition to creativity for this type of business, you need cheap t-shirts. They are usually made of cotton, but some people prefer to work with other materials.
What techniques will you use to personalize and print the t-shirts? The printing technique will play a key role, it will be a trait by which you will be recognized. The quality that your customers will perceive in their t-shirts and the budget that you will have to invest in their customization will depend on the technique used. Some of the most common methods are:
- Screen printing: Uses an image printed on a pressed mesh. It is stamped through pressure and the ink is dried with heat.
- Textile vinyl: It consists of a plastic material on which the image can be printed, and then fixed to the clothing through a heat iron.
- Sublimation: A special ink is used on a sheet of paper that is also special. It goes from a solid to a gaseous state, thanks to a heat press, and adheres to the fabric.
- Transfer: An image printed on a sheet of paper special for this process is ironed onto the shirt so that the design remains attached.
- Embroidery: It consists of sewing with thread on the fabric until the desired design is achieved.
The costs that you should consider for your t-shirt printing business are:
- Initial investment: Personal computer, printer, iron, ironing board.
- Raw material costs: you will need t-shirts of different sizes, Digital Transfer sheets, spare inks for volume printing.
- Other costs: Electricity, advertising, paper bags for delivery.
10. Underwear store
One of our latest ideas for starting a clothing business in Nigeria is to set up an intimate apparel or lingerie store. Underwear is a product of great interest for both men and women, since it is of mass and daily consumption. Market research is an important step before starting a business.
Who will you sell the underwear to? Who is interested in your product? Please note that not all women consume the same type of underwear due to their different preferences and needs, such as teenagers, executives, lactating and post-operative women. In addition, there is a male buyer profile. A man buys clothes to give to his partner.
For underwear stores, you need to learn about potential customers’ preferences, buying behavior, frequency, and purchasing power. This will give you an idea of what you spend and what you need to do to target correctly. Among the essential products that you must offer in your business you can find the following:
- intimate fashion
- lingerie sets
- garter belt
- intimate accessories
- Curious items, such as costumes, corsets , nightgowns and others
For a profitable lingerie business, it is necessary to have a budget that can vary between N70,000 and N200,000, where you can include decoration and setting expenses, such as dressing rooms with attached mirrors. In addition, it would be ideal for you to enter the online market by advertising through social networks or planning a launch event with an opening discount.
Entrepreneurship is a difficult decision to make but one that generates great rewards in the medium and long term. How to start a clothing business? Success will always depend on the effort, discipline and perseverance that you invest in your small business.
Remember that the big clothing brands and the most famous in the world, were originally a small and local store. After much effort, patience, and dedication, they managed to spread their products to other parts of the country where they settled, and then abroad. So, get to work, choose from the ideas to make a good clothing business in Nigeria that we have taught you and take your business to the top.