Ethereum Wallets: Top 5 Popular Options
It is difficult for a beginner to decide on the choice of a program for storing ether. Therefore, we will consider the 5 most popular options that are suitable for a novice crypto investor.
An online wallet that ranks 1st in popularity among Ethereum owners. It gives access to the asset online and is not tied to the user’s computer. That is, it is used for “hot” storage, so operations can be carried out with it very quickly and conveniently. However, it requires a stable internet connection to work.
- firstly, the ability to work with ether and other ERC-20 tokens;
- secondly, a clear and convenient interface;
- thirdly, synchronization with the cold storage of the ether.
But there is a minus – the possibility of hacking if the user does not follow the security rules when working on the Internet.
An Ethereum wallet developed by the creators of Ethereum. It is used for “cold” storage of cryptocurrency on a computer. But for authorization, you need a key that the user receives during registration. It is recommended to store it on a separate medium, as well as in several copies. If the file is lost, access to the air will not work.
- firstly, the ability to exchange ether for dollars and vice versa in the wallet itself;
- secondly, the storage of cryptocurrencies with the provision of access to trusted persons;
- thirdly, compatibility with other ERC-20 tokens issued on the Ethereum blockchain.
The downside is slow work, as well as the need to store the blockchain on a computer, for which you need to allocate a lot of free space (almost 1 TB).
3. Ledger Nano S
This is a kind of hardware wallet for storing cryptocurrency. It is sold as a device that connects to a smartphone or laptop. But thanks to the combination of cryptographic and hardware protection, it is impossible to get remote access to stored coins.
- firstly, absolute security for reliable storage of cryptocurrency;
- secondly, compatibility with ether, ERC-20 tokens and other coins;
- thirdly, the ability to use it on a computer or phone.
Minus – the need to purchase a device at a fairly high cost.
It is a cryptocurrency storage wallet that can be accessed through a browser, computer application or mobile phone program. It is available for most used OS.
- the ability to store various cryptocurrencies, including on other blockchains;
- the possibility of sharing through built-in tools.
Minus – insufficient security against remote hacking.
A popular wallet that works as a browser extension. Available for all popular browsers except Safari.
- you can work with any tokens on ERC-20;
- keys are stored on the computer;
- user-friendly interface.
The disadvantage, like all online options, is insufficient security. Therefore, using such Ethereum wallets, you must independently take measures to protect authorization data